There are many who people who are fond of preserves and jams, as they use them as a filling in bread – or simply finding the joy of eating it as is. Some people make jams and preserves on their own, but some do not know how to do it this, which is why they purchase it at their nearest grocery store. But if you want to know how to make jams and preserves, it is not a problem, because there are many simple ways of doing it.
Given below are some of the basic steps for making your very own preserves and jams. Check out the following:
- Thoroughly wash the fruit that you would like to use in preparing your jam and preserves. If there are cores or stems – remove it. Peel it if needed. For preserves, cut fruit into large chunks and for jam, mash or cut up your chosen fruit.
- Make serving size small batches – for quick cooking and for better flavor.
- For a cup of fruit, ¾ cup of sugar is needed. For ripe and sweet kind of fruits, you may add 1-2 tbsp. of lemon juice.
- To avoid scorching, stir the mixture often, for about 15-40 minutes – depending on the kind of fruit.
- In checking if the preserve and jam is already cooked, take a spoonful of hot water, then check to see if it can hold its shape. If so, your jam and preserve is ready to be put into a jar. Be sure to sterilize the jar, first, before using – to avoid harmful particle that might affect the quality of your jam and preserves; this can also help if you wish to preserve for the long term.